Aller au contenu
Rechercher dans
  • Plus d’options…
Rechercher les résultats qui contiennent…
Rechercher les résultats dans…
animo-aequoanimo

Richmond vers la fin de la vente d'animaux en animalerie

Messages recommandés

Richmond city council voted unanimously on Monday night to draft a bylaw amendment that would ban the sale of dogs in pet stores, in what the B.C. SPCA is calling a "landmark move against puppy mills.

While several U.S. cities already have such a ban in place, it is the first time a decision of the kind has been made in Canada.

"The City of Richmond showed such leadership being the first in Canada," said Lorie Chortyk, general manager of community relations for the B.C. SPCA. "We're really hoping that this is something other municipalities will see as the progressive way to go."

Councillors voted unanimously for the amendment, initially proposed by Coun. Ken Johnston last year, after hearing from more than a dozen delegations. It will be brought to council for preliminary approval on Oct. 12, followed by public consultation.

Pet-store owners would be given until next spring to sell or remove all dogs.

Chortyk said the decision will help prevent the breeding of puppies in puppy mills, where they are subject to cruel and inhumane conditions.

"Pet stores will always tell you that they only deal with reputable breeders and family-run breeders, but our experience has been just the opposite," Chortyk said. "Pet Habitat, for instance ... get their dogs from the Hunte Corporation, which is a massive puppy broker in the U.S."

Ernest Ang, owner of Pet Habitat in Richmond Centre, said he was shocked and saddened by the decision, insisting all of Pet Habitat's animals come from USDA-certified facilities and are inspected by veterinarians through the Canadian Food Inspection Agency's Animal Health Export Program.

"I went into the pet business because I love pets," said Ang, who opened Pet Habitat in 1980. "All the staff that work with me really love animals and we really take good care of the puppies and kittens we have in the store."

Ang believes the city should inspect individual stores for violations rather than implement a city-wide ban on dog sales in pet stores.

"I think the city just has to be fair," he said. "They have to look further and see if we're doing anything wrong. If we're doing something wrong, come in and tell me. I'm willing to correct myself."

If the amendment passes, Richmond residents wanting dogs can get them from the SPCA or from reputable breeders, Chortyk said.

There are more than 10,000 puppy mills operating in the U.S., breeding between two and four million dogs annually, according to Kristin Bryson, a criminal prosecutor who volunteers as a member of the B.C. SPCA board of directors.

Bryson said U.S. taxpayers spend about $2 billion each year to house and euthanize unwanted animals.

American cities with full bans on live animal sales in pet stores include Hermosa Beach, South Lake Tahoe and West Hollywood in California; Fort Lauderdale, Coral Gables, Lauderdale Lakes, Flagler Beach, North Bay Village and Opa-Locka in Florida; and Austin, Texas.

Albuquerque, N.M., imposed a ban on the retail sale of all companion animals in 2006. Since then, animal adoptions have increased by 23 per cent and euthanasia at city shelters has decreased by 35 per cent, said Bryson.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Richmond+makes+landmark+move+against+puppy+mills/3628403/story.html#ixzz12HqJHEih

Bonne nouvelle, mais je me demande si la vente des autres animaux (chats, lapins, furets, hamsters, oiseaux, etc, etc.) sera toujours permise scratch

• Créer...