Aller au contenu
Rechercher dans
  • Plus d’options…
Rechercher les résultats qui contiennent…
Rechercher les résultats dans…
D. Pogue

Bienvenue à la Révolution!

Messages recommandés

OMG!!!!

Can't believe you wrote a song on the subject!!!! Good job, Don... once again, something totally unexpected and funny that adds up to the juicy randomness of life Smile. Nice tail too...

I might have something fun to post after next weekend too... don't think i'll write a song but...

phil.

Nice little Copperhead Don.

Jeremy

Thank you for your kind words, Mr. Pogue; and the Agkistrodon photos. Agkistrodon are very underrated snakes. By the way, I always enjoy your musical contributions. At least here in the new Lounge we can all enjoy a musical interlude without the concern of any retribution being 'handed down'. Sincerely, Jon Davidson .

Melanie76 a écrit:
Great pics Rancor.. I love that w/c PM. I'm quite fond of them myself!! lol The SIGB isn't too shabby either! Wink

Thank you Ms. Melanie. I always prefer WC PMs as opposed to LTC....And I always practice a strict catch and release so others can have the same enjoyment I did thumright .

Post Scriptum :

The Agkistrodon specimen appears to be quite alert. In my view, intelligence is as important as is morphology when looking for good qualities in a snake. Nice colorations and interesting pattern, too, Mr. Pogue. Always good to see 'real snakes' that aren't in a contrived setting. Sincerely, Jon Davidson .

Oh, we could start a huge debate over the wild caught vs. captive bred pink mittens.

I think the next big thing in mittens will be this morph.

Over time though it would lead to this:

But then you know some idiot is going to try and cross breed them with a sock and get these stupid "hybrids"

Jeremy

All this talk of Colour Morph Mittens and Sock Hybrids is making me hungry for some more RealSnakes (tm). One can only wonder what this Texas Blacktail Rattlesnake, Crotalus molossus molossus, would have to say about all the Colourful Cross-Species Garbage that fills the Herp Hobby to capacity these days. If he could, ya know, "talk".......... Razz . This magnificent specimen was photographed by myself early on the morning of September 11 2001, just before the now-notorious Camel-Humpers started spreading their message of "Peace and Love" to the world...........

Even though most of us can't keep venomous snakes for legal or practical reasons, they are still worthy of our interest and our respect as Hobbyists. The pitvipers in particular are some of the most highly-evolved/advanced serpents on the planet, and athough most of us as reptile lovers realize that these amazing snakes have an important role to play in Nature's Web of Life, far too many people think that the only good "poisonous" snake is a dead one. I think that we should all condemn the incredible stupidity of these ill-informed and short-sighted types. I know I do.

Here are a couple of Copperhead pics to go with the last group from my previous post here.

Northern Copperhead, Agkistrodon contortrix mokasen.

Broad Banded Copperhead, Agkistrodon contortrix laticinctus.

M/O/D/P

ps - "Respect for Nature" Cool

That is one beautiful Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix.

Agkistrodon is one of my favorites of the venomous clan, but I do have a passion for the Naja group also. Not that I would keep any because I value being alive.

Jeremy

Ha ha.. Jeremy, that mitten post is hilarious Mr.Red

Beautiful pictures once again Don! That Southern Copperhead is gorgeous!(looks like he is wearing red earmuffs..lol)
I think that venomous snakes, are among the most beautiful out there. Hopefully, someday I will be lucky enough to observe some in situ..

Really nice avatar as well Mr.P

Hey JSI,maybe if you were just a bit more orignal it would help you dumbass,lol Cheers

Beautiful snakes Don!! Especially that C. m. molossus ! I would not keep Crotalus in captivity because I would probably choose Vipera species if I had to choose some venomous. I agree with you that the venomous species deserve lots of attention since they are definately the most persecuted reptile group! Just try imagining the number of terciopelo that get killed everyday just for being what they are.

Here is my contribution to the venomous pics...

Vipera ursinii

V. ursinii Habitat Shot

Vipera aspis

Vipera aspis

Another V. ursinii

ps. Massasauga shots Don ??
pss. E-Volution!

There is a lot of "venom" in here, it's a little scary. How about some "cute snakes"

Jeremy

JSI a écrit:
There is a lot of "venom" in here, it's a little scary. How about some "cute snakes"

Jeremy
(How about a little nasty rap?) Nice looking Thamnpohis, Mr. Jeremy. Sincerely, Jon Davidson .

How about some habitat shots? I thought it might be good to pass another cold, snowy winter's day by looking at some images from a warmer time........the summer of 2008, to be exact. Spring's coming soon. Maybe these photos will help to confirm that winter will eventually be over.

Several "big game" Ontario snakes live in Natural Spaces like the following. Only one of those species can rightfully be called the "King of Kings". If you don't already know who that is, it's time for you to mortgage everything you own and buy a deformed Ball Python collection. Hopefully no-one here falls into that hoplessly deluded category Razz.

A few vistas for your enjoyment. The snakes are in there somewhere, trust me. They're coming soon........tonight or tomorrow.......... Cool

Hmmmmmmmmm. Look who it is!

Regards,
D.
ps -
pps - "Snakes Are Where You Find Them" Wink
ppps - "Designer Snake Blues" Cool

D. Pogue a écrit:
How about some habitat shots?
Nice photography work(as always), Mr. Pogue(Some of these locations look familiar). Although, Am I to infer that you'd rather I not post my 'nasty rap' parody of the Money and Morph folks on your Thread? One could note that my composition is typically both direct and succinct and has literary merit if only in that regard. There is no censorship in this Forum, is there? Sincerely, Jon Davidson .

Great stuff all around.

I brought some of these in from the US. I'm pretty sure they're hybrids but at least have some Crochetalus in them.
In situ:

Having trouble getting them to eat, some tips would be great.

Well, Chris, that's certainly a nice selection of "CB" snakes Wink , and I think probably quite an accurate photographic representation of what "Captive Bred" has come to mean circa 2009. I'm not surprised that these "non-locality-specific" serpents have been somewhat difficult to "key out", though. Like the overwhelming majority of grotesque, deliberately malformed "Pet Trade" reptiles available in the Hobby today, it's hard to say defintively exactly what these guys really are. "Crochet-alus" is a good start, though Razz . I've been hearing lately that "Captive Bred" may sadly no longer mean what it used to mean.........or what it should mean............and that the clarion cry of "Support Your Local Breeder" may in fact be an incitement to waste your hard-earned cash on Living Garbage...........More on those thoughts later. We might soon just see how much truth and honesty folks are willing and able to digest. Later. I'll just bet that Melanie likes the pink one with the scarf, though Laughing ...........

For now, here are some of the Sistrurus catenatus catenatus photographs I promised earlier. All are Ontario specimens, photographed in the wild in the summer of 2008. These magnificent snakes are (thankfully) protected by Provincial legislation, and cannot legally be disturbed, killed, collected, or otherwise molested throughout their natural range (including in the US). These serpents are generally rather innocuous, and should be left undisturbed if encountered in the wild. So-called accidents usually happen when ego-driven "tough guys" feel the need to interact with wild snakes, either to approach them with the goal of killing them, or to free-handle them to show their drunken camping buddies just how tough they really are. Eastern Massasaugas also have very potent venom, and contrary to the suggestions put forth recently on "another Vebsyte", the full-yield envenomation from this pitviper is NOT "laughable"..........nor is the bite of any venomous snake, for that matter. Anyone who tells you otherwise is likely a person from whom you should not willingly receive "information".

I hope everyone enjoys these shiny-noo images.

Sistrurus catenatus catenatus

Adult Massasauga, photographed "on the road".

Regards,
Don

Great habitat shots Don!! I love the pine that's all bent because of the wind!!

I'm hoping I'll get the chance to search this awesome habitat this summer... It's one of my goal. I'd really like to see Eastern Canada's only V****** (I can't give away the answer...)

EDIT: After seeing the images you added at the same time I wrote the above message, I'd like to say thanks for these great photographys of another great canadian species.

Glad you enjoyed the Massasauga shots, Nick Wink .

Jon Davidson a écrit:
Nice photography work(as always), Mr. Pogue(Some of these locations look familiar).

Well then, Jon, I imagine that the snakes in this and the previous post here also "look familiar" Wink . For those who follow such details, Mr. Davidson was with me when these snakes were observed and photographed this past summer. A better snake hunter/field companion would be very difficult to find. If you're going to go snake hunting with me, you'd better be prepared to spend all morning, all afternoon, and all evening dedicated to the endevour. Jon is the first guy I've ever met who's more hardcore than I am Cool . At around 2:30am, after an evening of fruitful road-cruising, Jon's observation was that, "the sun comes up in another few hours, Don". That's dedication, folks.

Here are a couple more pics........

The rattler is in there somewhere.....

More habitat.....

An interesting lichen formation.......

Another one of those "wind-bent" pines.

And its rock-grabbing roots:

Another Natural Treasure.....

Regards,
Don

Very, Very nice indeed Don,i hope one day i will be lucky to go on a road trip with you to take a few pics of "Ontario's Natural Gems".Spring time is just around the bend and i see havoc arising in the distance.So get finished organizing your damn sock drawer,put on your gear cause it's time to rip up the road to do some herping.Sincerely Frenchie the Roughneck Rock on

The Garters come out in another week, my "Frenchie Roughneck" pal Wink .

Here are a few more images to keep us all going until the 2009 Season officially begins.

See you all here on Monday........or Tuesday.......

Regards,
D.

D. Pogue a écrit:

Well then, Jon, I imagine that the snakes in this and the previous post here also "look familiar" Wink . For those who follow such details, Mr. Davidson was with me when these snakes were observed and photographed this past summer. A better snake hunter/field companion would be very difficult to find. If you're going to go snake hunting with me, you'd better be prepared to spend all morning, all afternoon, and all evening dedicated to the endevour. Jon is the first guy I've ever met who's more hardcore than I am Cool . At around 2:30am, after an evening of fruitful road-cruising, Jon's observation was that, "the sun comes up in another few hours, Don". That's dedication, folks.

Here are a couple more pics........

Regards,
Don
Thank you for the kind words, Mr. Pogue. It's true that I enjoy Snake Hunting, and Rattlesnake Hunting in particular. It was an honour being out in the field with as dedicated and experienced a snake hunter, photographer, naturalist and friend as you, Mr. Pogue. I was beginning to think that it would be unlikely for an old guy like me to run across another old school, hard core, snake hunter like Don; but happily for me, when Mr. Pogue and I go to look for snakes, we don't stop looking until we find them(a full day and a night of hunting and we're just getting warmed up). The results of such endeavours may be seen in the posted examples of Mr. Pogue's always excellent photography work. Sincerely, Jon Davidson .

Fantastic. I'm really looking forward to finding some time this Spring & Summer to seek out some of our natural treasures out West for some RealSnake(tm) photo opportunities to share here. Unfortunately it will likely be without such dedicated company. I can't post without mentioning how beautiful those habitat shots are.

With the foot of snow we got last night this is as natural as it gets around here for the next while:

LOL, that tortoise looks like he's dedicated to his job Embarassed !! What species is that? I've never kept tortoises, but I really do find them fascinating. If I was a "mod" here I would announce that I hadn't kept them and then I would post a googled link to a another site about tortoises, or maybe even a site about "potato growing" LOL. You never know with those instant expert google links Razz . I guess its good that I'm not a "mod" geek .

Big thanks to Don for the stunning photos yet again. I'm amazed at the rattlesnakes (one of my favourites), and blown away by the habitat. I have seen one and only one big game Ontario snake, it was an eastern hognose at a friends cottage in 2002. Of course no one had a camera that day Mad . I can't beleive the quality and consistency of the pics on this thread!

I for one cant wait for the next additions, I think I'll have to start logging in every day now.

steven
PS still working on my Francais Cool
PPS "MFWZ" ArmySmilysalut

Excellent field shots as always Don. I don't have much luck, or skill when it comes to field herping. Not that I don't have desire, I'm just not very good at it. I am however unlike other people very happy to "just find garters".

Here is one I like from September 2008.

I think it's called in situ:

These two were happy basking together until I got too close and the water snake Nerodia sipedon bolted for the water.

Jeremy

P.S. Note to self: don't handle Cribos when your hands are covered in Garter snake musk.........
P.S.S.He seems happy in his new home.

JSI a écrit:
I am however unlike other people very happy to "just find garters".

I agree with you 100%. Even if Garter's are by far the snake that I find most of during the summer, they are probably one of my favorite to observe in the field. What I love abou them is you can actually often observe them going at their everyday business without disturbing them!!

Great Sistrurus shots Don!!!

Thanks to everyone for the compliments on those "habitat shots". Some days, it's rewarding enough just to be out in the field enjoying those Natural Spaces, even if no snakes are found. As they say, any day snake hunting is better than any day working in the office. I really can't imagine what it would be like to be stuck in a cubicle five or six days a week. Especially when you realize what many "cubicles" are also used for EmbarassedWink .

Here are some more Sistrurus catenatus catenatus habitat shots. These ones are from an entirely different part of the snakes' Canadian range.

A few more images of equally "picturesque" but completely different Massasauga habitat.......

"Gratuitous Beaver Shot"

Sometimes the places you find them in are as rewarding as the snakes themselves.

Regards,
D.

ps - Nice in situ photo, Jeremy. Imagine finding TWO "worthless" colour-brids ("tm") at once??? Not much "investment potential" there, I'll admit........but still beautiful serpents nonetheless Cool .
pps- Jeremy's advice regarding the combining of Large Adult Cribos and Garter Snake Musk is some of the best information I've ever received after a thoroughly predictable and thus preventable incident........."Now ya tell me........" affraid

LD/50 a écrit:
LOL, that tortoise looks like he's dedicated to his job Embarassed !! What species is that? I've never kept tortoises, but I really do find them fascinating.

They really look like russian tortoise (Testudo horsfieldii)

Thanks for the turtle pics, Stephan. It looks to me like a case of "Same Pond, Different Turtles", though. I'm not sure that your big Blanding's is the same as the individual I saw so many times last spring. It would be great if that little urban pond had a breeding pair of Emydoidea blandingii, wouldn't it? Here are my photos of The Urban Blanding's Razz .........dare I say, "TM"? Wink .

A "wide shot" of the pond.

Regards,
D.

ps -

Here is my pond contribution. Can anyone guess where and what?

Probably the biggest specimen of this species I've ever seen.

Well, Nick, I think it looks like a "cryptic basking" example of one of these guys........

........on top of a construction project done by one of the eager little workers who did this.......

And this.......

Speaking of "beaver shots".........Do I win a prize? Razz

Regards,
D.

"beaver shots" just makes me think of the joke in Naked Gun : "Nice Beaver" hehe which is just weird! ahah

Let's stay out of xxx... ok Don??

As for my picture, you are (obviously) right! hehe. This my first and only picture of Nerodia I plan on trying to change that this summer.

ps. "Cryptic coloration" Cool

ps.

D. Pogue a écrit:

Speaking of "beaver shots".........Do I win a prize? Razz

D.
No comment(wink). Sincerely, Jon Davidson .

Great photographs of habitat and species. Nice to see right at the beginning of the 2009 Season. Sincerely, Jon Davidson .

I wonder if the powers that be are regretting their decision with all the copulation, turtle-heads, & beaver shots going on in here... Twisted Evil

Love that railroad tracks shot, I can just feel the gentle breeze on my mug...

Anyways great pics all around & count me into the pumped to spot garters club as well. I'm really hoping to get some bull snake shots this year & have been tipped off to a few places that will hopefully yield some nice pictures. Worst case is some nice prairie shots and that ain't such a bad alternative...

This has remained the first place I look when logging onto the intervebs.. Thanks all for the eye and brain candy.

oh and yes those are Russian tortoises. Anyone interested in the interesting and slightly comical behaviour that goes with those pictures can view a short clip I put up here:

Beautiful habitat shots guys! I'll admit it..I'm jealous!..lol geek

Figured I would add a picture of another worthless garter. I'll dedicate this picture to Corky. Their #1 fan FY

Corky a écrit:
A bag of garters is still just a bag of garters

That pretty much says it all.

Jeremy

The following pictures were taken 24 April 2008 and they were my first 08 reptiles. All these pictures are making me lose patience!!

Can you guys count them!

First snake of 08.

ps. "spring" rocks
pps. "who's up for BBQs, Herping and Beer" 8)

Looks like everybody is getting worked up for the 2009 field hunting season. I myself plan to be out photographing local snakes yet again on the very next sunny day here where the temperature is 10 degrees C or warmer. I'm told by our friend "Stevie" that a few Garters were already out and basking in the Toronto area on March 07, 2009 Cool. We're on the cusp of another great spring.......I can practically taste it now.........

Here are some new photos from the end of last summer. It's a nice example of a healthy, wild Eastern Milksnake, Lampropeltis t. triangulum. This one really impressed me by adopting a defence pose that was reminiscent of that more commonly displayed by snakes of the Agkistrodon complex........note the upward "head tilt" in three of the images.

Regards,
D.

ps - Steaks, Snakes, and Ice-Cold "Moosehead" Cool. I'm "in" Wink.

Very nice indeed,I'll chin chin my Ice-Cold "Moosehead" to that Mr.Pgoue, Cheers Stevie Army Smiley

I would definitely be up for some field herping and cold beers with the members of the VIP lounge. Hopefully I can learn some better techniques and improve on my herp photography skills.

Jeremy

D.Pogue a écrit:
"head tilt"

That is a really interesting posture.

Its great this thread has such interesting participants... With so much to share and so much of value... Although, truth be told, I secretly (...not so secretly affraid ) criticize all of you rather harshly.... Except you, of course, Mr. Davidson. Wink
Thats right I wrote it. You cant unread it now...Morph keepers. The lot of ya......
There's no doubt more of you out there with untainted collections, but I dont trust what dirty little secrets you might be harboring in the back of your sock drawers... Especially YOU Mr. JSI. Twisted EvilTwisted Evil
After perusing a perfect example of "modern captive Squamata enthusiast's" private communique with a prominent morph keeper (Thats right carmel thamnophis, you too! Shocked ),it makes me wonder which species is more adept for sweater box living.... My vote is starting to slide towards the two leggeds at this point..... But really, I keep garters... so I must be the lunitic.......
Enough ranting for now... I want to play the "RealSnakes" (tm) game... I wish I could show some of the famed Urban Blandings but I think my irrational fear of turtles (caused by mutant ones......) will keep me from profiting on their popularity...........
Worthlesser the First....

This shot was taken in all its poorly focused glory on April 27th 2008. It took 2 days of uncoordinated attempts to get as this was at a friend's cottage..... This particular animal taunted me, at waters edge a number of times that weekend.
And just because its instyle and Im a conformist at heart....

Habitat Shot

Post scriptum : What the hell is a "JustGarter" anyway?? Some new shitty morph / hybrid??? Question
PPS : Mr. P, I know everybody cant read and comprehend all that you write, but do you think its because social insects rely on body language that even PICTURES arent understood?
PPPS: I still dont like morphs.

I do have one dirty little secret here in my home. One little amelanistic Pituophis catenifer annectens
A picture just for you _rancor

Jeremy

JSI a écrit:
I do have one dirty little secret here in my home. One little amelanistic Pituophis catenifer annectens
A picture just for you _rancor

Jeremy

What a horrid creature that thing is! But have no fear, I have a cure.... For it, and the rest of you morph keeper's mistakes.....
Sir Steve: Pic posted once before on an illfated thread......

Post Scriptum : No need to open the flood gates of mutant pictures.... They prefer the dark for a reason.....
PPS : rancor_

• Créer...